Platinum Award - Time4Reading
Following the initial launch of the Time4Reading initiative last September and its continuation this academic year, we are pleased to announce that at the end of April 2017 we achieved the Platinum Award for reading initiatives from South Gloucestershire Council. We are the first school to receive this prestigious award.
The attainment of the award recognises the many reading initiatives and activities that take place throughout the school during the course of the year. Examples include:
- our encouragement and commitment to reading at home on a regular basis.
- book swaps for both staff and children that take place during the course of the academic year
- our fantastic Reading Challenge for KS2.
- the Summer Reading Challenge at our local libraries.
- the one to one reading support that we provide to various children throughout the school.
- work to help parents understand the support that they can bring to developing their child's reading skills.
- our author writing competition held earlier this year.
- the provision of buddy readers across year groups.
- the creation and distribution of community posters to support and promote reading within the wider community.
- the regular submission of reading reviews shared within the school and on the South Glos website.
- promotion of our reading related work at our local library (Cadbury Heath Library).
- the publication of our own magazine 'Reading Matters'.
- the celebration of National Events such as World Book Day, Black History Month and National Poetry Day
I am sure that you will all agree these and many more such like strategies to promote and develop reading within school and the wider community, make our Platinum Award something to be extremely proud of. A big thank you goes to everyone within our community, staff, children, parents, grandparents and carers for all that we collectively do to help ensure the children of Cadbury Heath can become readers for life!