English unites the important skills of speaking, listening, reading and writing. At Cadbury Heath Primary School we encourage children to speak, listen, read and write for a range of purposes, using language to learn and communicate ideas, views and feelings. It enables children to express themselves creatively and imaginatively, as they become enthusiastic and critical readers of stories, poetry and drama, as well as non-fiction and media texts. Children gain an understanding of how language works by looking at its patterns, structures and origins. Children use their knowledge, skills and understanding in speaking and writing in a range of different situations. We believe that through English children can begin to express themselves creatively, imaginatively and factually.
- Our aims for our teaching and learning within English are to enable children to:
- Gain an enthusiasm and love of reading and writing.
- Provide opportunities for pupils to become confident, competent and expressive users of language with a developing knowledge of how it works.
- Develop an awareness of purpose and audience for both written and oral language.
- Provide an environment where pupils are encouraged to construct and convey meaning, both in speech and writing, of factual, imaginary and personal experiences.
- Develop the fundamental skills of language as a means of communication, thus giving access to the rest of the curriculum and providing a vital key for future learning.
- Become confident users of language.